It’s my final night in Oxford…and it’s surreal just to see those words on this page.
Back in September when I first arrived, I never thought this day would come. The mountains of schoolwork, the constant confusion over which library held what book, and the stress of essay crises seemed never ending. But I got into a groove after those initial grueling weeks, and now that I’ve come out to the light on the other side of the tunnel, I almost don’t know how to feel. I’m definitely looking forward to being home for Christmas, (especially to reuniting with friends and family) but this has been the most incredible experience of my life, and I’m not sure if I’m quite ready to let it go just yet.
As I sit here in my cozy cubby-hole of a room on the third floor of 224 Abingdon, looking out my window at the wintry English countryside for the last time, I can’t help but start to reminisce (I’m already nostalgic!) Taking all the weeks together, it hardly seems real. How did I possibly fit all of this into one term abroad? I talked politics with an advisor to one of the most influential prime ministers of this century. I had a tutorial with a Rhodes Scholar and another with a writer for the Guardian. I went to ten different cities in four different countries. I heard private acoustic sets by Grammy-nominated bands– while they were hosted as special guests by the second oldest debating society in the world. I went to wine tastings where I sampled the champagne that William + Kate had at the Royal Wedding. I attended countless drinks parties, black tie dinners, and college bops. I may have lost a few hours of sleep (and extra money in my wallet) in between, but I’ve gained many new friends, fond memories, and the desire to travel even more in the future.
I think the most humbling part of this whole experience has been realizing just how much support I have back at home. These months wouldn’t have been nearly as exciting had I not been able to share in the joy of them with all of you! Leaving Oxford would be nearly impossibleif I didn’t know I was going home to such a loving family. Thank you, my readers, for your interest in my posts and your constant encouragement, and thanks to all my friends, family, distant relatives, neighbors, and classmates – I’ve felt the warmth of your prayers, even from across the pond – they’ve kept me safe, motivated, comforted. I love each of you, and am forever grateful to you.
Ashley - just got round to reading your final posts, I'm so glad you had such a great time and that you truly soaked up every possible opportunity to live the English/European dream! Now you have done it I am sure you will be hungry for more...the world is a big place but I am sure Oxford will be very special. Hope to see you soon, Roger
ReplyDelete