Saturday, October 29, 2011

(Ashley's) Best of Oxford

I can hardly believe it, but I'm already more than halfway through my time here at Oxford. Over these last couple of months, I've gotten to know the city quite well - well enough to pick out my favorite spots (and there are quite a few of them). This is just a short list of what I consider to be some of Oxford's gems. *Hopefully this little list will come in handy for the recently accepted group of CUA students attending Oxford this Spring 2012 - congratulations everyone! Get ready to work hard and play harder. I hope you come to love the city as much as I do :)

- BEST OF OXFORD -
Pubs:
Don’t miss – The King’s Arms, Turf Tavern, and the Eagle &Child (they’re Oxford fixtures)
Best prices – Four Candles, Fire & Stone (four pounds pizzas every Thursday!)
         and City Arms (quid nights are every Monday)
Best food – The Crown
Best drinks – The Grande Café on High Street (for cocktails); Chequers (for ales)
Best Atmosphere – The Perch (voted best pub 2011), Head of the River
Best music – The Folly Bridge Inn on Open Mic night, The Cape of Good Hope on Cowley Road


Coffee Shops:
Café Nero – (located in Blackwell’s…absolute heaven)
Most for your money - Coffee Republic – large servings, but loud music (not ideal for studying)
Most environmentally friendly - Taylors – serves only organic, free trade coffee
Best Atmosphere – The Missing Bean (but good luck finding a table!)

Clubs: (depends on the night)
Mondays – Bridge
Tuesdays – The Blues at Camera
Wednesdays – Lava / Ignite or Fuzzy Ducks at the 02 Academy (but only if you’re brave enough!)
Thursdays – Bridge
Fridays – Wahoo
Saturdays – No.9


Shops: (depends on the budget)Splurge - Debenham's Department Store
Reasonable - Apricot, River Island, Top Shop
Frugal - Primark (the UK version of Target)
Super Saver - OxFam, Unicorn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.