If you’re only going to join one club or society while you’re studying at Oxford, it should definitely be the Oxford Union Debating Society.
Established in 1823, the Union is one of the oldest debating societies in the world (second only to Cambridge). The Union was founded independently of the University, so that ideas could be freely exchanged and debated, away from the restrictive University officials which frowned upon the practice. Since then, the society has flourished by ‘that gentle stimulus which is always given to any English institution by the disapproval of those in authority.’
| The Oxford Union - inside the debating chamber |
Debate is the heart of the Union. This is the place where many future politicos get their first taste of public speaking; it is the only forum in the world whereby students can openly question Prime Ministers, or speak alongside Parliamentarians, and have a mutual dialogue about policy and law. This term alone, the selected motions include the famous ‘No Confidence’ debate, along with motions on the Press, Education, Democracy, the Israel-Palestine Conflict, and Finance. The speaker line-up is equally exciting, and includes starlet Katie Price, supermodel Elle Macpherson, the bands Snow Patrol and Hanson, and several presidents and Prime Ministers. A few weeks ago, I met Roland Emmerich, the director or 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, The Patriot, and Independence Day. He spoke to the Union about his latest project ‘Anonymous’ and showed clips from the film.
| Roland Emmerich at the Oxford Union! |
Johnny Depp spoke to the Union last Saturday, and showed a free screening of his new movie ‘The Rum Diary’ before a Q+A session. The buzz surrounding his arrival was high, that it gained international attention, and was even written about in the Guardian! The Union had to issue random ballots to the event to ensure there was enough room for everyone – sadly, I did not receive one. However, I’m told the event was absolutely smashing…apparently Johnny, in his effortless cool-guy way, brought people from the rafters to the front of the chamber, paused for everyone to ‘take a cough break’ and even rolled a cigarette in the middle of his speech! (I’m not at all jealous I didn’t get to go…)
And celebrities aren't just the guest speakers...they're in the audience as well!
![]() |
| Emma Watson exiting the Union |
But the Union is equally known for its exceptional social events. This past Friday was the eagerly awaited, ‘New York, New York’ Ball – and it did not disappoint! The night featured a champagne bar, three dance floors (in the debating chamber, in a tent by the gardens, and in the Old Library). My friends and I danced the night away alongside Rhodes Scholars and doctoral candidates. It was probably my favorite night I’ve spent in Oxford so far!
| The Union's 'New York, New York' Ball |
Of course, the Union is also a great place to just relax and get some studying done. It is one of only a few lending libraries in Oxford (all of the others a research libraries, which do not permit you to check-out books.) The cozy leather chairs face gorgeous pre-Raphaelite paintings on the walls.
| The Union Library |
Izzy Westbury is the current president of the Union Society. A third-year Physiology student from Hertford College, Izzy also plays for the Varsity Blues Hockey team and is an international cricket super-star – she played for the Netherlands national team at just fifteen years old! (And here I thought I was involved in a lot of activities!)
Though I’m not involved in competitive debates, I do try to get to the chamber debates every Thursday. They’re highly entertaining and always interesting. I’m very glad that I joined, and I’d encourage any future Oxford student to do the same!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.